Jaki Liebezeit © Patrick Essex
Jaki Liebezeit: Life, Theory and Practice of a Master Drummer
Der Vorverkauf ist beendet. Es sind noch ausreichend Tickets an der Abendkasse erhältlich.
On a very special night, the newly published book about one of Cologne's most important cultural ambassadors will be presented.
But this event will also bring together many of the complex and interwoven aspects of Jaki Liebezeit's work and thinking.
Contributing musicians and artists:
- Andrew Weatherall, presents a DJ set exclusively composed of Jaki Liebezeit's extensive discography.
Live music with some longtime colleagues of Jaki Liebezeit:
- Drums Off Chaos: Reiner Linke, Maf Retter and Manos Tsangaris with Rosko Gee (Can), Jochen Irmler (Faust), Michael Rother (Neu) and Dominik von Senger (Phantom Band)
- Jono Podmore and Ian Tregoning
- Manos Tsangaris and Ann-Yi Eötvös
Bryan O'Connell and Whirling Hall Of Knives
Readings from the authors' book, including the US writer John Payne
- A projection installation by the visual artist diz_qo presents Jaki Liebezeits fascinating and complex visual graphics and exclusive photos from his private archive, which also form the visual backdrop for the live performances.
Jaki Liebezeit, who died in 2017, is referred to as the groove and power behind Can, but he has also left another legacy - a complete practical theory of drumming. This theory is based on natural movement principles that Jaki Liebezeit observed during his lifelong exploration of drumming.
Producer Jono Podmore and writer John Payne have accompanied Jaki Liebezeit for several years and wanted to publish his theory, but he always replied that he would do so when he was too old to play drums. That never happened - his last appearance was only a few weeks before his death.
Fortunately, he had already transcribed the basic principles. With the help of Jaki Liebezeits widow Birgit Berger, Drums Off Chaos, Manos Tsangaris, Burnt Friedman and the discographer Bryan O'Connell, we were able to compile a comprehensive overview and presentation of the drum theory of Jaki Liebezeits profound theoretical and practical vision as it was applied throughout his life.
Further information on the book can be found here
The financial profit from the event and the book will be donated to the Jaki Liebezeit Foundation.
Jazz, Improvisation, Electronic, Experimental, Beats, Spoken Word
32 €/24 € red. Presale Please note: vendors of presale-tickets may charge additional fees. 32 €/24 € red. Box Office
Order Tickets ticket i/O
External Links Facebook
Add to Calendar Download iCal-File
The concert is unseated. There will be no seating.This event is supported by